Dual Degree Award: Asia Pacific University, Malaysia and Staffordshire University, UK
This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Familiarity with the full range of technologies that characterise the Internet from an applications perspective.
- A coherent knowledge and understanding of application design and development for internetbased systems.
- The ability to create and critically evaluate innovative new applications of internet technologies.
- 2 Principal Passes at STPM level and with 4 Credit Passes at SPM including Mathematics; or
- 2 Passes with at ‘A’ Levels and with a Credit Pass at ‘O’ Levels / GCSE including Mathematics; or
- The APIIT/APU Foundation or equivalent with CGPA of 2.0 and Credit in Mathematics at SPM/O-Level; or
- 5 Grade B's in UEC including Mathematics; or
- Canadian Pre-University (CPU) with minimum average of 50%; or
- Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) with minimum average of 60%; or
- South Australian Matriculation Certificate (SAM) with minimum of 60%; or
- International Baccalaureate with minimum 24 marks;
- Victorian Certificate of Education with minimum average of 50%;
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma with minimum average of 50%; or
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
Degree Course Structure:
Level 1 modules in this degree that provide a foundation for any IT professional include System Analysis & Design, Fundamentals of Software Development, and Introduction to Programming in an appropriate language. More technical knowledge and skills are developed in Operating Systems & Computer Architecture and Introduction to Networking. Introduction to Management and Computing & IT in the Workplace provide a foundation for multi-disciplinary education and understanding personal and organisational development. Important and relevant skills for independent learning are introduced throughout this level.
- Computing & IT in the Workplace
- Fundamentals of Software Development
- Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Networking
- Mathematical Concepts for Computing
- Operating Systems & Computer Architecture
- System Analysis & Design
- Interactive Media & Web Design Technology
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities
Specific technical skills related to Internet Technology are developed at this level. Fundamentals of Mobile Computing and Mobile & Wireless Technology provide indepth skills and a thorough understanding of how mobile technology supports modern lifestyles and organisational activity. Web Applications and Web Multimedia show you how to take full advantage of the technologies and components used to develop web-based multimedia applications. Network Security introduces you to the security needs of an organisation and covers the most popular countermeasures used to deter malicious attacks, along with risk assessment and mitigation strategies. The emphasis on independent learning continues at this level, and is a particular focus and requirement in Research Methods.
Independent learning continues in all modules but is a particular focus and requirement in Research Methods
- Creativity & Innovation
- Object Oriented Development with Java
- Probability & Statistical Modeling
- Professional & Enterprise Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- System Development Methods
- Fundamentals of Mobile Computing
- Mobile & Wireless Technology
- Network Security
- Web Applications
- Web Multimedia
Internship (12 Weeks)
After the completion of Level 2 students will undertake a short Internship/Industrial Training. This will prepare them for a smooth transition from the classroom to the world of Internet Technology.
At this level there is further development of relevant technical skills and the ability to apply these skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications, Cloud Infrastructure and Services, and Developing E-Commerce Applications with XML provide in depth skills and a thorough understanding of how Internet Technology supports modern organisational activity. Innovation Management & New Product Development, Emergent Technology and Ubiquitous Computing give you the opportunity to enhance your research skills and generate viable technical ideas based on the latest technology innovations. Computer Systems Management and Entrepreneurship ensure that you have a proper understanding and appreciation of relevant issues whether you choose to join an existing organisation or decide to set up your own business.
The major project that you are expected to complete, entails extensive research in domain knowledge and the acquisition of skills in using tools and methods in Internet Technology. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
- Innovation Management & New Product Development
- Project Management
- Cloud Infrastructure & Services
- Computer Systems Management
- Developing E-Commerce Applications with XML
- Emergent Technology
- Enterprise Programming for Distributed Applications
- Internet Technology Project
- Investigations in Internet Technology
- Ubiquitous Computing
You will be able to master appropriate design, development and implementation skills to design and implement multimedia applications using appropriate platforms, tools and techniques. The degree will assist you to gain employment as a web designer or developer.