This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- High-quality undergraduate engineering education by providing students with a curriculum that is firmly grounded in electrical & electronic engineering fundamentals.
- A study in both the areas of electronics fundamentals as well as electrical power systems including the areas of generation, transmission and distribution of electrical energy.
- The technical skills required for the application in the fields of communication and the IT industry through a well balanced curriculum which includes the study of signals and computing.
- Pass STPM with at least principal / full pass / grade C (CGPA 2.0) in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry and pass SPM with credit in Mathematics and one of the relevant Science subjects - Physics / Chemistry / Technical / Vocational; OR
- Pass 'A' Levels with at least a pass in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry and pass 'O' Levels / GCSE or equivalent with Grade C in Mathematics and one of the science subjects - Physics or Chemistry; OR
- Pass UEC or Senior Middle Three (SM3) with Grade B in five (5) subjects including Mathematics and one of the relevant Science subjects - Physics or Chemistry and a pass in Bahasa Malaysia; OR
- Pass the APU Foundation or equivalent; OR
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
Degree Course Structure:
These modules provide an appropriate platform for an Engineering Professional to understand the basic principles of engineering in the areas of Circuit Analysis, Engineering Materials, Engineering Statics & Dynamics and Engineering Design. In addition, a thorough grounding in principles of IT and management are provided by the Programming and Management modules. Modules such as Engineering Mathematics and Introduction to Management provide the basic academic skills required to meet the demands of employers. Important and relevant skills for managing activities and for your own independent learning are also introduced.
- Analysis of Circuits
- Engineering Materials
- Introduction to Management
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Introduction to C Programming
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Statics & Dynamics
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Here, you start specialising in modules that develop the necessary underlying knowledge and skills in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Further, in-depth Electrical and Electronic skills are developed here with modules such as Electromagnetic Field Theory, Engineering Software & Applications, Analogue Electronics, Digital Electronics, Signals & Linear Systems, Electrical Machines 1& 2 and Electrical Power Utilisation. Engineering Mathematics is provided for the better understanding of the engineering modules.
- Analogue Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Electromagnetic Field Theory
- Digital Electronics
- Engineering Software & Applications
- Signals & Linear Systems
- Electrical Machines 1
- Electrical Power Utilization
- Electrical Machines 2
Specialised knowledge and skills in the areas of Control Engineering, Communication Engineering Principles, Multimedia Applications, Computer Architecture, Microprocessor Systems & Embedded Software, Digital Signal Processing, Numerical Methods & Statistics, Power Electronic & Drives, Power System Analysis and Generation, Transmission & Distribution of Electrical Power are a critical focus of this level. There is further development of the ability to apply relevant engineering skills with strong critical thinking and analysis.
Independent learning continues in all modules.
- Control Engineering
- Communication Engineering Principles
- Multimedia Applications
- Computer Architecture
- Numerical Methods & Statistics
- Microprocessor Systems & Embedded Software
- Power System Analysis
- Generation, Transmission & Distribution of Electrical Power
- Power Electronics & Drives
Electives (Choose One)
- Digital Signal Processing
- Product Creation Technology
Industry placement with a suitable organisation for a minimum period of 12 weeks, after completing Year 3 and before the commencement of Year 4.
The final year Engineering modules provide the necessary industry application technological skills which will become very useful for employment upon graduation. These modules include, VLSI Design, Analogue Integrated Circuits & Systems, and High Voltage Engineering. Your personal and professional development is enhanced by the module in Engineer in Society and Engineering Project Management. You will enhance your technical capability and understand how to innovate, generate and manage the creation of new ideas.
The Project Phase I (Investigation) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering will enable students to take on R&D with commercialisation. The Electrical and Electronics Engineering Project Phase II (Implementation) also develops the academic and practical aspects of your chosen areas of study and reinforces your independent learning skills. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking, analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
- Engineering Project Management
- Project Phase I (Investigation)
- Project Phase II (Implementation)
- Group Engineering Design Project
- Engineer in Society
- High Voltage Engineering
- Analogue Integrated Circuits & Systems
Electives (Choose One)
- VLSI Design
- Optical Communication and Networks
Career in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
From geographical information systems that can continuously provide the location of a vehicle to giant electric power generators, electrical and electronics engineers are responsible for a wide range of technologies. A degree in Electrical & Electronics Engineering offers challenging opportunities over a wide range of activities from research and design to operations, management and planning. Career choices are in diverse areas such as Power Systems, Electrical equipment manufacturing and testing, Biomedical Engineering and Computer Systems Engineering and also as technical experts on engineering projects in the Banking and Finance Industry.