This programme is specifically designed to provide:
- Petroleum Engineering is a unique programme that combines petroleum, gas and exploration engineering to cater for the ever-demanding oil and gas industry. Our programme prepares individuals to apply engineering principles to the design, development and operation of systems for locating, extracting, processing and refining crude petroleum and natural gas, including mining and drilling systems, processing and refining systems and facilities, storage facilities, transportation systems, and related environmental and safety systems. Students’ understanding on theoretical component is further enhanced with hands on sessions in our laboratory and we also prepare students with psychomotor skills, critical thinking skills and good communication skills.
- Careers span the range of fields which are normally covered by mechanical and industrial engineering. Roles of a Petroleum Engineer includes developing skills in examining geologic and engineering data to determine sources of crude oil and gas, examining the quality and quantity of the product, separation of crude oil into different elements, etc.
- Pass STPM with at least principal / full pass / grade C (CGPA 2.0) in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry and pass SPM with credit in Mathematics and one of the relevant Science subjects - Physics / Chemistry / Technical / Vocational; OR
- Pass 'A' Levels with at least a pass in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry and pass 'O' Levels / GCSE or equivalent with Grade C in Mathematics and one of the science subjects - Physics or Chemistry; OR
- Pass UEC or Senior Middle Three (SM3) with Grade B in five (5) subjects including Mathematics and one of the relevant Science subjects - Physics or Chemistry and a pass in Bahasa Malaysia; OR
- Pass the APU Foundation or equivalent; OR
- A qualification that APU accepts as equivalent to the above.
- Students must possess a minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS or 550 in TOEFL to join this programme
Degree Course Structure:
These modules provide an appropriate platform for a practicing engineer to understand the basic principles of engineering in the areas of Fundamental of Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum Geology, Engineering Materials, Engineering Statics and Dynamics and Engineering Design.
In addition, a thorough grounding in principles of IT and management are provided by the C Programming for Engineers and Management modules. Modules such as Engineering Mathematics and Introduction to Management provide the basic academic skills required to meet the demands of employers. Important and relevant skills for managing activities and for your own independent learning are also introduced.
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Statics and Dynamics
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Introduction to C programming
- Introduction to Management
- Fundamental of Petroleum Engineering
- Petroleum Geology
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-Curricular Activities.
Here, you start specialising in modules that develop the necessary underlying knowledge and skills in Petroleum Engineering. Further, in-depth Electronic and Mechanical skills are developed here with modules such as Introduction to Electrical System, Strength of Materials, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamic & Heat Transfer. Engineering Mathematics is provided for the better understanding of the engineering modules. Specialize Petroleum Engineering modules such as Element of reservoir Rock and Fluid Properties, Formation Evaluation & Well Logging, Reservoir Engineering and Safety in Oil & Gas Engineering are introduced to develop skills necessary for Petroleum engineers. Independent learning continues in all modules.
- Introduction to Electrical System
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Fluid Mechanics
- Thermodynamic & Heat Transfer
- Element of reservoir Rock and Fluid Properties
- Formation Evaluation & Well Logging
- Reservoir Engineering
- Safety in Oil & Gas Engineering
Specialised knowledge and skills in the areas of Drilling Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Well Design & Completion, Sustainable Development, Production Engineering, Well Testing, Reservoir Simulation and Numerical Methods & Statistic are a critical focus of this level. There is further development of the ability to apply relevant engineering skills with strong critical thinking and analysis. Independent learning continues in all modules.
- Numerical Methods & Statistic
- Drilling Engineering
- Reservoir Engineering
- Well Design & Completion
- Sustainable Development
- Production Engineering
- Well Testing
- Reservoir Simulation
Industry placement with a suitable organisation for a minimum period of 12 weeks, after completing Year 3 and before the commencement of Year 4.
The final year Petroleum Engineering modules provide the necessary industry application technological skills which will become very useful for employment upon graduation. These modules include, Field Development Project, Advance Drilling Engineering and Advance Well Testing for off shore and Gas Engineering and Enhanced Oil Recovery for on shore. Your personal and professional development is enhanced by the module in Engineering Project Management and Engineers in Society. You will enhance your technical capability and understand how to innovate, generate and manage the creation of new ideas.
The Investigation module (Project Phase I) and Implementation module (Project Phase II) develops the academic and practical aspects of your chosen areas of study and reinforces your independent learning skills. This is where you will demonstrate higher level critical thinking, analysis and solutions development skills which will enhance your employability.
- Engineering Project Management
- Engineers in Society
- Project Phase 1 (Investigation)
- Project Phase II (Implementation)
- Field Development Project
- Option 1 - Electives
- Advance Drilling Engineering
- Advance Well Completion
- Option 2 - Electives
- Gas Engineering
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
Career in Petroleum Engineering
Petroleum Engineering is the bridge connecting to the Oil & Gas Industry where engineers have a high level of technical expertise and skill, which they use to plan, design, set up, modify, optimise and monitor the processes in the Oil and Gas industry. Petroleum Engineers are analytical engineers and creative thinkers in solving complex problems. They can practice on their own initiative but also contribute as a team member working with engineers from various disciplines. Responsibilities of a Petroleum engineer include the following:
- Examining geologic and engineering data
- To determine sources of crude oil and gas,
- Examining the quality and quantity of the product,
- Separation of crude oil into different elements
Typical occupations include working as a drilling engineer, reservoir engineer, production engineer, process engineers or equipment engineer to optimize oil and gas production, Potential employers are oil companies like Petronas, Exxon Mobil, Shell, Murphy Oil, Talisman, Petrofac, Newfield, Hess, Nippon Oil, and oil service companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, M-I Swaco, UMW Drilling, ScomiOiltools, Dimension Bid, Geowell and Eastern Energy.