Pharmacy is the health profession that links the health sciences with the chemical sciences it is charged with ensuring the safe and effective use of drugs. Pharmacy has three main disciplines; Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacy Practice.
Pharmaceutics involves the development, creation and processing of raw drug. Pharmaceutical chemistry is a field that has a relationship with the chemistry, biology in the case of synthesis and drug development. Pharmacy Practice is the discipline of pharmacy that applies the information in the pharmaceutics and pharmaceutical chemistry so that it will be practiced among the community. It emphasizes the use of rational, effective and safe use of drug in the society.
Diploma in Pharmacy prepare students to become pharmacy technicians who are knowledgeable in the field of pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmacy practice so they are ready to enter the job market in the pharmaceutical industry which emphasizes the application of pharmaceutics and pharmaceutical chemistry or entering the job market which focus on pharmacy practice such as hospital pharmacies and community pharmacies.
Among the pharmacy technician duties (known as pharmacy assistants) in the hospital is to assist the pharmacist in ensuring the provision, supply, drug use is rational, effective and safe. They also assist the pharmacist in ensuring that patients receive optimal pharmaceutical care as well serve as a drug consultant to the other professionals such as doctors and nurses.
The duration of study is six semesters (3 years) Obtained approval from the MQA and is under supervision of the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia.
Pass SPM or equivalent qualification with at least THREE (3) credits INCLUSIVE of
- Bahasa Melayu
- Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology OR Science
- Any other 1 subject
- Pass in English
- Pass in Mathematics
Students who have successfully completed the course can find employment in the private and public sectors as:
- Pharmacy Assistant (U 29) in public hospitals and statutory bodies
- Pharmacy Assistant in private hospitals and community pharmacies
- Executive spokesman or executive products in the pharmaceutical industry
- Supervisors at the Drug Quality Control or Manufacturing Unit in the pharmaceutical industry
- Assistant / assistant research officer at research institutions related to drugs and medicines
- Technical assistant in the institutions regulating drugs and health products