A Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) is a healthcare professional who performs chemical, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and bacteriological diagnostic analyseson body fluids such as blood, urine, sputum, stool, peritoneal fluid, as well as other specimens.
Medical Laboratory Technologists work in clinical laboratories at hospitals, reference labs, and biotechnology labs.
Training and learning period is about for 3 years with six semesters. Five (5) semesters for theory and practical; and one (1) semester for clinical practice in Hospitals and Clinics.
Upon completion of their studies, students can continue their studies at a degree level in disciplines such as Bio-medicals, Physiology and Pharmacology at local and overseas universities.
Pass SPM or equivalent qualification with at least FIVE (5) credits INCLUSIVE of:
- Bahasa Melayu
- Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology OR Science OR Applied Science
- Any other 1 subject
Students who have successfully completed the course can find employment in the private and public sectors as:
- Service Sectors in the hospitals health and diagnostic laboratories such as Pathlab, BP Lab
- Support service in colleges and universities
- Universities and research centers
- Industrial and Management Sectors, example: Roche Diagnostics