This programme is specifically designed to provide:
The Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering programme prepares you for careers in the Electrical, Electronics, Telecommunication, and Manufacturing environments. This programme offers a broad-based study in the areas of electrical and electronic engineering
- A range of modules in the electrical and electronic engineering spectrum is provided.
- Other skills necessary for the workplace are also provided. These include communication skills and life-long learning skills.
- You will be equipped with the knowledge and expertise to face the challenges of business development in a wide range of electrical and electronic industries.
- The Electrical & Electronic Engineering programme at APIIT provides a significant amount of hands-on experience. The curriculum requires 6 semesters of laboratory experience in electrical and electronics. Hands on experience provide necessary experience in designing engineering solutions, dealing with implementation issues, and using engineering tools. In addition, you will be exposed with seminars & competitions to be part of the engineering world.
- 3 Credits in SPM with a Credit in any Mathematics (Maths or Ad Maths) and a PASS in any Science Subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Science & Technology or General Science). Student must Pass BM and Sejarah to pass the SPM; or
- Pass Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) or its equivalent with a pass in Mathematics, English and ONE (1) relevant science/technical/vocational subject at the SPM level; or
- Recognised Certificate in Engineering/Engineering Technology or its equivalent; or
- Recognised related Vocational and Technical/Skills Certificate or its equivalent with ONE (1) year of relevant work experience or a minimum of ONE (1) semester of a bridging programme; or
- 3 Credits in O Levels with a Credit in any Mathematics (Maths or Ad Maths) and a PASS in any Science Subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology or General Science); or
- A qualification that APIIT accepts as equivalent to the above
Diploma Course Structure:
In this semester, students will be introduced to preparatory modules which would be essential for them to embark on their journey in completion of their diploma. Students will be taught English for writing, reading and speaking together with basic Mathematics, Mechanics and Computing. Students are also required to take one General Studies module as required by the Malaysian Qualification Agency.
- English for Academic Purpose
- Engineering Mechanics
- Foundation of Engineering Mathematics
- Practical IT Skills
- General Studies module
Continuation from semester 1; students study Mathematics in more depth and are exposed in professional communication and business to prepare them with skills essential to prepare them in the working world.
- Professional Communications
- Business Environment
- Engineering Mathematics 1
In semester 3, students will continue studying Mathematics. They would also learn to construct simple logic circuits and to apply concepts of magnetic and electrical field. In addition to these, they would be also learn on atomic structure, properties and failures of materials such as polymers and metal alloy.
- Engineering Materials
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Electrical and Electronic Principle
From semester 4 onwards, students are introduced to core engineering modules. They would be learning on calculating currents and voltages in circuits using Kirchoff’s Law, network theorems and nodal and mesh analysis.They also learn about various types of instruments used for engineering measurements and has the opportunity to use them; preparing themselves with sufficient knowledge on lab equipments before they experience more labs in coming semesters. Students are also exposed to computer based 3D modelling, Boolean Algebra, Karnaugh map and construction of digital arithmetic circuits.
- Analysis of Circuits
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Design Principles
- Digital Electronics
Two of the modules in this semester uses programming languages. Students are taught on how to write assembly language programmes to programme the microprocessor and microcontroller and also to design, implement and test alorithms in C programming. In addition to this, students are also exposed to analogue circuits and its analysis.
- Microprocessor and Microcontroller Systems
- Analogue Electronics
- Problem Solving and Program Design using C
- Organizational Behaviour
During the final semester, students are taught to understand and solve problems involving three phase circuits, synchronous machines, transformers, transmission lines and power system protection, learn to interpret control process and transform the process into mathematical expression and learn on detailed construction, types, operating characteristics of DC & AC Machines and drives. Students also learn on modulation and demodulation of information carrying signals.
- Generation, Transmission and Protection
- Control Systems
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Communication Engineering Principles
In addition to the above, all students are also required to successfully complete General Studies modules as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency, as well as fulfill credit requirements for Co-curricular activities